TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY
CAMPUS ACTIVITIES AND STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS OFFICE
LBJ STUDENT CENTER
Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon Mathematics Honor Society
August 24, 2012
THIS ORGANIZATION SHALL BE KNOW AS: Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon
THE PURPOSE OF THIS ORGANIZATION IS
Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon is a non-secret organization whose purpose is the promotion of scholarly activity in mathematics among students in academic institutions, and among the staffs of qualified non-academic institutions. It aims to do this by:
1. electing members on an honorary basis according to their proficiency in mathematics,
2. by engaging in activities designed to promote the mathematical and scholarly development of its members,
3. by taking any other measures which will further the purpose above stated.
Sec. 1. ALL STUDENTS IN GOOD STANDING WITH TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY
SHALL BE ELIGIBLE FOR MEMBERSHIP IN Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon
PROVIDED THEY MEET THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum Qualifications for Regular Membership.
A person meeting any one of the following five sets of qualifications may be elected to membership by a chapter. This election shall be irrespective of sex, religion, race, or national origin:
1. Undergraduate students who have had at least two years of college mathematics including calculus, who have completed their mathematical work with honor (at least B average), and who are in the top one-third of their class in their general college work.
2. Sophomores who are majoring or intend to major in mathematics, who have completed at least three semesters (4 quarters) of college mathematics including one semester of calculus, who have achieved a straight A record in all mathematics courses taken, and, who are in the top quarter of their class in their general work.
3. Graduate students whose mathematical work is at least equivalent to that required of qualified undergraduates, and who have maintained at least a B average in mathematics during their last school year prior to their election.
4. Members of the faculty in mathematics or related subjects.
5. Any persons who have achieved distinction in a mathematical science.
Minimum Qualifications for Affiliate Membership.
Persons with the following qualifications may be elected to affiliate membership by an affiliate chapter:
1. The initiate must have completed a bachelor’s degree including at least two years of college mathematics (2 semesters or 3 quarters of calculus), and have done the work with distinction.
2. The initiate should be engaged in work of a mathematical nature.
SEC. 2. IN ORDER TO BE REGARDED AS A REGULAR Member OF Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon
WITH VOTING PRIVILEGES, A STUDENT MUST Attend a minimum of 75% of all official meetings and functions held by Pi Mu Epsilon and be current on all chapter fees.
SEC. 3. THE AMOUNT OF FEES OR/Dues PER YEAR/SEMESTER/MONTH SHALL BE
$40.00 initial fees, whereas $20.00 is a one time National fee, and $20.00 yearly fee.
SEC. 1. THE OFFICERS OF Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon SHALL CONSIST
OF PRESIDENT, VICE PRESIDENT, SECRETARY, TREASURER, AND: Editor, and four Counselors.
SEC. 2. THE OFFICERS OF Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon
BE ELECTED At the second meeting of each Fall semester or by the call of a special election due to an untimely vacancy, by a two thirds majority vote of the regular members.
SEC. 3. THE DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS OF SHALL BE THOSE USUALLY PERFORMED BY SUCH
OFFICERS, TOGETHER WITH THE FOLLOWING DUTIES
1. The Editor shall be responsible for the preparation, editing, printing, and distribution of the Pi Mu Epsilon Journal. The Editor may appoint a Business Manager and Associate Editors, subject to the approval of the Council. The Editor shall submit an annual budget to the Council concerning the expenses of the Journal.
2. The nine Officers constituting the Council of the society shall be the legal Board of Directors of the society. They shall exercise the functions usually pertaining to an executive committee and shall have power to decide all questions concerning the society as a whole which are not otherwise provided for by this constitution or by vote of the chapters. In particular they shall have charge of the expenditure of funds belonging to the general organization; and shall vote on application for membership
SELECTION AND REPLACEMENT OF ADVISOR
SEC. 1. THE ADVISOR OF THE ORGANIZATION WILL BE David Fred Snyder, Ph.D
SEC. 2. IF THE ABOVE ADVISOR RESIGNS, THE PROCEDURE ES FOR REPLACING THE
ADVISOR WILL BE AS FOLLOWS Once an appropriate replacement is located, it will take a two-third majority vote by regular members before the Advisor will be able to take office.
SEC. 1. THE PROCEDURES FOR ADOPTING BY-LAWS ARE By-laws are nominated by regular members and approved by a majority vote.
SEC. 1. THE PROCEDURES FOR ADOPTING AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION ARE
Adopting Amendments to the Constitution of the Texas Rho Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon are nominated by regular members and approved by a two-thirds majority vote.